December 9, 2009

Why I Teach

This is why I teach, because of moments like this.

I’m sitting here reading finals. I asked two essay questions. One posited some rather sweeping and outlandish proposals for “improvements” around the campus. Fewer parking spaces, reduction in tech support and access, etc.

The other prompt asked students to reflect on their writing selves - their process, their self-discoveries, how writing will help them in the future.

All of them are up at arms about the proposed changes. They are hanging on tooth and nail to keep their campus/college accessible, functional and NOT put up any more barriers to education. This is a demographic that has to fight traffic, the demands of home and work, the stigma of failure at other institutions, the delay of finishing college to come every day and get an education. They are PASSIONATE about keeping the opportunity to learn. I am moved.

One student is freakishly smart, making me wonder why he’s here. There’s a story, but I don’t need to know it. “Mark” is funny and tells me that I have saved his writing from being too dry and academic. He doesn’t need to erect that wall between his thoughts and his personality anymore. His paper made me laugh out loud. Truly.

Another student "Callie" relates the therapy she discovered, when at age 10, she witnessed her father fall into the Grand Canyon on a family trip. In therapy, she started journaling and now wants to pursue a writing career. No, she MUST pursue that career.

I slag on students, I roll my eyes, and some of them do fluffy and silly things that are entertaining. “The Teacher’s Lounge” is a figurative and sometimes real place where we vent and cackle because it is a little bit like M*A*S*H sometimes. We laugh so we don't cry or beat our heads on the desk. This semester (with hamthrax, the usual complement of grandparent death, and late late papers) has been a long strange trip, but sitting here, reading finals, moved to tears is not exactly where I thought I would end the semester.

The privilege of associating with these funny, broken and tender souls, when they finally shyly reveal themselves, is worth the weeks of frustration. My time with them is over, but I hope I said or did something so that their time with me is not over. The privilege of being an influence is very very special, and not something I take lightly. It is an honor, and I will gladly go into the classroom again in five weeks, ready to take up arms against student ditziness and stupidity, hoping there’s at least one or two Callies and Marks in the crowd.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I just wandered over from Holidailes and loved your post. I'm reminded of Derrick Jensen's Walking on Water, on his experience teaching writing at a college and at a prison. It's almost a primer on teaching writing through passionate engagement with life.

    ReplyDelete